Legislation and policies
Policies and codes
- Accident, Incident Reporting and Investigation Policy and Procedure (PDF 74KB)
This policy and procedure states the State Library's requirements for reporting and investigating accidents and incidents in the workplace.
- Ask a Librarian Service (PDF 178KB)
This policy is designed to help clients understand what levels of support to expect from our staff.
Australian Interlibrary Resource Sharing (ILRS) Code
The ILRS Code benefits Australian libraries and their users by providing greater predictability, consistency, and flexibility in obtaining materials.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Policy
The purpose of this policy and associated BYOD procedures is to allow staff to use their own mobile devices if they wish to do so, while also ensuring they take steps to minimise the risk of unauthorised access to the Library’s systems or unauthorised use or disclosure of the data held by the Library.
Business Continuity Management Policy
This policy outlines the Library's approach to business continuity management and the delivery of critical services and products following a disruption.
This policy provides guidance for clients and others who participate and interact with State Library content in online environments such as social media channels.
- Code of Conduct - Library Council of New South Wales (PDF 336KB)
This policy summarises the expectations of ethical conduct of members of Library Council and all members of committees established by Library Council.
- Client Code of Conduct
This policy outlines the conduct we expect from clients using the State Library.
- Collection Acquisitions Policy (PDF 78KB)
This policy aims to ensure the most cost-effective, efficient and timely acquisition of collection material for the Library.
- Collection Development Policy (PDF 137KB)
This policy provides information about the Library's collections and collecting priorities.
- Collection Donations Policy (PDF 78KB)
This policy provides a framework to manage offers of donations of published and original material.
- Collection Storage Access Policy (PDF 140KB)
This policy describes how the security of the library materials in stack is maintained whilst allowing ongoing access to the collection by the public and staff, as appropriate.
- Collection Storage and Service Delivery Policy (PDF 161KB)
This policy outlines how decisions are made to utilise finite storage space.
- Digital Collecting Strategy (PDF 480Kb)
This policy outlines the Library's approach to collecting digital content for a two year period between 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- Financial Delegations Policy (PDF 50Kb)
This policy identifies position titles and their respective limits of financial delegations under the Public Finance and Audit Act 1983.
- Fraud and Corruption Prevention Policy (PDF 83KB)
This policy is is designed to ensure that the State Library establishes and maintains a healthy ethical culture.
- Gifts and Benefits Policy and Procedure (PDF 92KB)
This policy states the State Library's requirements regarding the management of gifts and benefits.
- Honours and Honorary Appointments of the Library (PDF 67KB)
This Policy specifies how the Library Council of New South Wales may recognise outstanding individuals who have contributed to the State Library of New South Wales.
- Interlibrary Lending Policy
- Internet Usage Policy
- Legal Information Access Centre (LIAC) Service Policy
The LIAC service is provided to meet the legal information needs of residents across NSW.
- Metadata Framework: Principles & Standards for Cataloguing (PDF 192KB)
This policy outlines the principles and standards applied to catalogue records for material in the collections of the State Library.
- Preservation Policy (PDF 133KB)
This policy is an essential tool for ensuring the integrity and survival of the Library collection.
- Procurement Policy (PDF 62KB)
This Policy establishes the framework for the State Library's procurement activities.
- Retention & Disposal Policy (PDF 32KB)
Retention and Disposal Policy for collection material and donations.
- Security Systems Surveillance Policy (PDF 99KB)
This policy identifies the security systems used at the State Library and describes how they are used, in accordance with the Workplace Surveillance Act 2005 and other relevant legislation and policies.
- Social Media Policy (220KB)
This policy provides standards for State Library staff who communicate with clients and stakeholders via social media.
- Staff Code of Ethics and Conduct (PDF 606KB)
This policy outlines the ethical behaviour and expected conduct by State Library staff.
- Staff Loans Policy (PDF 180KB)
The framework for managing the use of collection material by staff.
- Takedown request position statement
- Use of the State Library Under the Library Regulation 2010 Part 3 (PDF 42KB)
- Work Health and Safety Policy (PDF 85KB)
This policy affirms the State Library of New South Wales' commitment to the health and safety of all workers and visitors on the Library premises.
- Whistleblower Protection Procedures (PDF 95KB)
The State Library is committed to the aims and objectives of the Public Interest Disclosures Act 1994 which provides protection for staff members reporting genuine concerns regarding corruption, maladministration, substantial waste of public money or government information contraventions.
- Children's Policy Guidelines for NSW Public Libaries (PDF 308KB)
In the interests of promoting consistency in policies, the Library Council of New South Wales provides these guidelines for NSW public libraries.
- Guidelines for External Exhibition Loans (PDF 82KB)
Information about borrowing collection items from the State Library of NSW for temporary exhibitions.
- Guidelines for Local Government Authorities
- Guidelines for the Use of Public-facing Library Blogs (PDF 70KB)
- Public libraries policies and guidelines
Various policies pertaining to public libraries.
- Selection of internet reference resources
Criteria for evaluating websites to assist clients in finding quality information sources on the Internet.
- Staff guidelines for editing Wikipedia (PDF 178KB)
This policy provides guidance for Library staff editing Wikipedia and information for the Wikipedian community about Library editing activities.