Due to planned maintenance, a number of eresources will be unavailable on Sunday 19 August. This includes Ancestry Library Edition, Ebooks and ProQuest.
On this day, 17th August 1801 the Female Orphan School in Sydney was officially opened in George St. The School was founded by Governor King and housed 31 girls who were taught needlework, spinning, reading and some writing. Extensions to the original house were completed in 1803 so that the establishment could accommodate 104 girls.
On 30 June 1818 the girls from the Sydney Orphan School were moved to new premises on the banks of the Parramatta River at Arthur’s Hill (later known as Rydalmere). The George Street, Sydney site became the Male Orphan School. Both orphan schools were conducted under similar constitutions, rules and regulations and a committee was established to manage both schools.
On 30 April, 1850 the Male Orphan School, which had been relocated at Liverpool in 1823 was closed. The remaining residents moved to the Female Orphan School site at Parramatta and the two establishments amalgamated to form the Protestant Orphan School.