Main content area

Blog post from Saturday, 5 April, 2014

On 4th April 1820, the foundation stone was laid for what would later be known as the Queen Victoria Building (QVB) in Sydney. This site on the corners of George, Market, York and Druitt streets, has had a long history of food markets and was also the site of the Central Police Court.

The current Romanesque style building was completed in 1898 and designed by George McRae (the government architect who also designed buildings at Taronga Zoo.)

The State Library of New South Wales has a large collection of photographs of the Queen Victoria Building.