On this day in 1865, 29th June, the first St Mary’s Cathedral in College St, Sydney, was destroyed by fire. All that remained of the original buildings was the Pugin facade and belltower along with part of the north-east transept. Plans for a new Cathedral were drawn up and the foundation stone was laid in December 1868. The Cathedral was finally completed in 1928.
The State Library of New South Wales holds a number of drawings and photographs depicting the fire and the ruins of the first cathedral.