On this day, 22nd January 1788, Arthur Phillip located and named Manly Cove in Sydney.
The First Fleet of convicts had arrived in Botany Bay on 18 January 1788. Governor Phillip immediately determined that there was insufficient fresh water, an absence of usable timber, poor quality soil and no safe harbour at Botany Bay. He then set out on a reconnaissance mission north to Port Jackson to find a more suitable place to establish the colony.
Whilst exploring the area of the Northern beaches, Phillip noticed a group of aborigines who waded into the water, unarmed, and curiously approached Phillip’s boats. Impressed by what he described as “their confidence and manly behaviour”, he named the region Manly Cove.
These photographs depict the 150th anniversary and re-enactment of this event in January 1938.
From the collections of the State Library of New South Wales.
Hood Collection 1: Home and Away