On this day, 3 July 1850, work began on the first NSW railway line from Sydney to Parramatta, a distance of 22km.
The Sydney Railway Company, established for the purpose of constructing the first railway line, was incorporated in October 1849. The first sod was turned at Cleveland Paddocks by the Governor’s daughter, Mrs Stewart, at the southern end of modern-day Central Station and Cleveland Street. The construction suffered some setbacks, and was put on hold until taken over by the New South Wales colonial government. The line finally opened on 26 September 1855.
This photograph, from the State Library of New South Wales collections, is of Joseph Atkins, the guard on the first rail trip to Parramatta (not verified).