Construction of the Mitchell Library (now part of the State Library of New South Wales) commenced in 1906.
This photograph from our collections, depicts The Mitchell Library in progress was taken 17 November 1906.
SPF / 1586
The Mitchell Library opened in 1910. It was expanded with further building works until 1964, including the Dixson Wing which opened in 1929. An additional building, the Macquarie Street wing, opened in 1988.
Find out more about the history of the Library on our website.