Map entitled The district of Adelaide, South Australia : as divided into county sections, from the trigonometrical surveys of Colonel (William) Light late Survr. Genl., 1839. This map shows numbered sections with names of owners, roads, canals, proposed canals, streets in the city of Adelaide, government domain, barracks, hospital, school, store, and cemetery. The grid pattern, surrounded by parkland continues to define the centre of Adelaide today.
William Light was also an accomplished artist. His 1836 view of the proposed town of Adelaide shows the very early beginnings of South Australia’s capital city.
Today in 1838, the first group of Prussian Lutherans arrived in South Australia. They were sponsored by businessman and philanthropist George Fife Angas.