On this day, June 4 1819, Hyde Park Barracks was officially opened by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in Sydney. The Hyde Park Barracks was designed by Francis Greenway as a dormitory for male government- assigned convicts.
It became an Immigration Depot for single female immigrants seeking work as domestic servants from 1848 to 1886, and also a female asylum from 1862 to 1886. It is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List as one of 11 pre-eminent Australian Convict sites.
The State Library of New South Wales holds many items relating to the history of Hyde Park Barracks, including these illustrations.
See our feature on Francis Greenway.