On this day, 5 June 1788, a large number of cattle from the government herds that had arrived with the First Fleet strayed from the colony at Sydney Cove and went bush. The cattle were not recovered until pardoned convict John Wilson, who settled southwest of Sydney, found the herd and its descendants living near the Nepean River in 1795. The herd had thrived in the bush, and the cattle were strong and healthy. The location where the lost cattle were located became known as Cow Pastures.
This is a view of the Cow Pastures from the collections of the State Library of New South Wales