State Library of NSW
Mounted on card inscribed: "This brass button was found in the ruins of the Australian Agricultural Company's cottages in Pit Row off Darby Street, Newcastle. The A.A.Co. worked their mines from 1830 by convicts assigned to them by the Governor of N.S.W. These convict miners were housed in Pit Row and fed and clothed by the A.A.Co. The buttons were made in England for the Convict Clothes. 1922." In later hand: "Pit Row is now known as Swan Street at bottom end of Anzac Avenue". Dated from the time of transfer of the Newcastle Mine from the Government to the Australian Agricultural Company. Reference: 'The Australian Agricultural Company 1824-1875' / Jesse Gregson. Sydney : Angus & Robertson, 1907.