State Library of NSW
About this item:
The three-storey Australian Mutual Provident building (on left) was built in 1880. It was remodelled and enlarged in 19610 to become a six storey building. Further land was bought and in 1917-19 the building was extended to cover the entire Pitt, Bond Hamilton and Little George Streets block. It all disappeared under the Australia Square project in 1963. The island in the centre now accommodates the Dobell Memorial Sculpture by Bert Flugelman (known as the 'shish kebab'), transplanted from Martin Place in 1999.