State Library of NSW
Sydney in the 1900s was being transformed and modernised by removing many colonial buildings. Wide-scale demolition soon reshaped the city’s character and skyline.
In 1927, Vickery’s Chambers, at 76 Pitt St, fell to the path of progress. This building had special significance for Norman Carter, who lectured in art at the Sydney Technical College, and for Sydney University’s architecture department through to the 1940s. Carter had previously rented a studio in Vickery’s Chambers, and taught life classes there for the NSW Royal Art Society. Carter was also Vice President of the Society of Artists which had its meeting rooms there.
In copyright - Life of artist plus 70 years
Copyright holder: Norman Carter's assignee
Approval for reproduction required
Please acknowledge: Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales and Courtesy copyright holder