State Library of NSW
Born in 1910, Sydney artist Alan Grieve studied at the Julian Ashton School and East Sydney Technical College.
Situated between Manly’s South Steyne and Shelly Beach lies the romantic sounding Fairy Bower. Named by landowner Charles Hemington in 1858, the Bower was intended to be a picnic and refreshment area for visitors to Manly. The Sydney Morning Herald recommended it in 1859 as ‘beautifully situated, near the ocean beach’.
Grieve lived locally, producing coastal scenes of Middle Harbour and the Northern Beaches. Not much has changed at Fairy Bower from what Grieve observed in 1956. A popular cafe continues to serve refreshments in the same building, and locals and visitors alike enjoy the swimming and walking the position offers.
Copyright status: In copyright - Life of artist plus 70 years
Approval for reproduction required
Please acknowledge: Dixson Galleries, State Library of New South Wales and Courtesy copyright holder