State Library of NSW
About this item:
As a showpiece for Sydney's 1879 International Exhibition, the Garden Palace was built in the grounds of the Botanic Gardens. Designed by the colonial architect James Barnett, it stood over 64 metres high. Using the new electric arc lamp to enable construction around the clock, workers completed the timber building in just eleven months. It burnt to the ground in 1882.