We are open on ANZAC Day from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. See our ANZAC Day opening hours for more details.
State Library of NSW
About this item:
In 1841, former convict and auctioneer Samuel Lyons built Lyons Terrace, a substantial row of elegant houses in Liverpool Street opposite Hyde Park. Each terrace cost $5000. The house on the extreme left was demolished in 1910 to make way for Wentworth Avenue. The next two became the Australian Picture Palace. The remaining terraces and the house on the right were demolished for the YWCA headquarters in 1923. Not all was lost. Lyons Terrace provided the cast-iron Ionic columns used by William Hardy at Eryldene, Gordon.