State Library of NSW
This is a hand coloured plan showing the sands between the beach and harbour in Newcastle in 1850. In 1852 Captain John Bull was appointed as Superintendent of Works at Newcastle Breakwater. Bull supervised the building of the breakwater using stone excavated from Nobbys Head using convict labour. The height of Nobbys Head was reduced from 62 metres to 27.5 metres by the excavation work.