State Library of NSW
About this item:
Fort Macquarie was built in 1821 on the end of Bennelong Point, where the Sydney Opera House now stands. Completed by convict labour using stone from the Domain, the fort had 15 guns and housed a small garrison. The powder magazine beneath the tower was capable of storing 350 barrels of gunpowder. The fort was demolished in 1901 to make way for the tramway sheds that occupied the site until the construction of Utzon's masterpiece.