State Library of NSW
About this item:
Many years in the planning, the Regent Theatre in George Street opened in 1928. Inside was a massive marble stairway adorned with fountains and statuary, leading to a long salon, furnished with gilt chairs and settees of the Louis XIV period. It was sold in 1972, as J.C. Williamsons needed money to rebuild Her Majesty's Theatre, destroyed by fire in 1970. Although classified by the National Trust, The Regent was demolished in 1989. A 48 storey residential glass tower facing Bathurst Street and a 33 storey tower of 180 serviced apartments on Kent Street is proposed for the site.