State Library of NSW
About this item:
This building had been on the south-west corner of Pitt and Park Streets since the 1840s as a butcher's shop. By the 1850s it had become the Butchers Arms hotel, which changed its name to the Volunteer Hotel around 1862. It was demolished in 1882, to be replaced by the Equitable Building. This became Park House, one of several buildings in the block now owned by the Sydney City Council and planned for demolition to create an open square opposite the Town Hall.