State Library of NSW
About this item:
Wynyard Park is only a remnant of the large area once occupied by the military barracks, where British troops were garrisoned in the early years of settlement. The original parade fronted George Street. As the city became more prosperous, the presence of the military in the centre of town became unpopular and the barracks were demolished. It was dedicated as a public park on 1 July 1887.