- General Admission: $25.30
- Concession: $20.30
- State Library of NSW Friends Members: $20.30
Price includes fees.
- Silent Film Festival
Silents in the Library: Chicago
1927, 119 mins
Digital restoration of a classic film with live music.
Like the musical Chicago that won the Best Picture Academy Award and five other Oscars in 2002, this original 1927 version descends from a 1926 hit Broadway play by Maurine Watkins. It is a terrifically entertaining mix of humour and melodrama as well as a pungent critique of trash journalism. Put on trial for murder of her boyfriend, Roxie Hart (Phyllis Haver) secures lawyer Billy Flynn (Robert Edeson), equal part mob 'mouthpiece' and publicity agent. When Roxy hits the headlines, the courtroom theatrics begin.
Silver Screen tribute 'Silents at the Library' series includes the following:
1. A Day at the Flickers in 1917 – Sunday November 5
2. The Phantom of the Opera – Sunday November 12
3. Chicago – Sunday November 19
4. The Lost World - Sunday November 26