About the award
This award is sponsored wholly by Multicultural NSW ($20,000) and is offered to the writer of a book (fiction or non-fiction), play, poetry, music drama or script which is deemed by the judges to have both:
- made a significant contribution to Australian literature, theatre, film, radio or television in its portrayal of the interaction of Australia’s diverse cultures, and
- canvassed issues arising from the Australian immigration and migrant settlement experience.
The Multicultural NSW Award may be awarded to either:
- a book first published between 1 October 2015 and 30 September 2016;
- a play or music drama which has had a premiere season of several performances given by an amateur or professional theatre company before a general audience between 1 October 2015 and 30 September 2016; or
- the original writer’s script for a full-length fiction or documentary, or a television program (fiction or non-fiction). The film, radio or television program must have been publicly screened or broadcast between 1 October 2015 and 30 September 2016.
Writers who have previously won this award are not eligible to win it in the subsequent two years.
Books, plays, music dramas and scripts may be nominated specifically for this award by their authors, publishers, agents or producers.