Mitchell Library Reading Room temporarily closed Tuesday 12 December 2017. More info
About the award
The Multicultural NSW Award ($20,000) is offered for
- a book of fiction or non-fiction, memoir or history
- a play, musical drama or comedy, theatrical monologue or other theatrical performance,
- a book of collected poems or a single poem of substantial length published in book form,
- the screenplay of a feature or documentary film or episode of a television program (drama, comedy or documentary), or
- the script of a radio play or documentary
which is deemed by the judges to have made a significant contribution to Australian literature, poetry, theatre, film, radio or television and which also considers:
- any aspect of the Australian migration experience; and/or
- aspects of cultural diversity and multiculturalism in Australian society.
The Multicultural NSW Award may be awarded to either:
- a book or collection first published between 1 October 2015 and 30 September 2016;
- a play or music drama which has had a premiere season given by an amateur or professional theatre company before a general audience between 1 October 2015 and 30 September 2016; or
- the original writer’s script for a feature or documentary or episode of a television program (drama, comedy or documentary), accompanied by a DVD of the feature, documentary or episode.
Writers who have previously won this award are not eligible to win it in the subsequent two years but shortlisted writers are permitted to re-enter new works.
Books, plays, music dramas and scripts may be nominated specifically for this award by their authors, publishers, agents or producers.