Catalogue - Single Search
Use the Library’s powerful single search catalogue to explore the State Library’s collection of over 6 million items. The collection includes books, manuscripts, journals, maps, artworks, photographs, oral histories, music scores, ephemera, audio and video files.
Start your search in the Catalogue and then filter your search to quickly find the items you are looking for. You can search here for:
- published material (books, journals, magazines and maps)
- unpublished collections (manuscripts, oral histories, pictures)
- digital content (digitised by the Library or acquired in a digital format)
- most eresources (ebooks, journal articles and databases).
Manuscripts, Oral History and Pictures
Manuscripts, oral histories, pictures, photographs, ephemera, music, maps, architectural plans, postage stamps and other objects are the unpublished items in the collection, and referred to as original materials.
There are two ways you can search for original materials.
You can search in the single search Catalogue, and apply the filter 'Manuscripts, Oral Histories and Pictures' (chosen from the drop-down list).
Alternatively you can go directly to the Manuscripts, Oral History and Pictures catalogue.
The Library subscribes to an extensive range of eresources, including local and international newspapers, full text journals, databases, ebooks, magazines, digital images from Australian heritage collections.
Many eresources can be searched in the single search Catalogue however to find family history resources, some law databases and some journal article databases provided by EBSCO we recommend you go to the eresources website.
You can search the website from any page in the site using the Search in the top right of your screen.
Catalogue: new features and issues
We are continuing to make improvements to our new catalogues. Please see Catalogue: new features and updates for new features, tips and a summary of the high priority issues we are working on.
More search tools
There are also card catalogues and indexes that include annotations that may help with your research. These are only available onsite.
If you're unable to visit the Library, you can send an enquiry to the Ask a Librarian service to assist with accessing the card catalogues.
- Mitchell Library Printed Books Card Catalogue
- Mitchell Library Periodicals Index: 1944-1963 (21 drawers) and 1964-1967 (one drawer)
- Mitchell Library Pictures Card Catalogue
- Havard Index to Historical Records of Australia
- Jervis Index 1789-1936
- Book Review Index 1945-c.1987
- Church Registers Index
- Index to Portraits of Boxers in the Bert L. Cox Collection
- Ships Index