STAGE 1: DEVELOPMENT APPLICATION FOR GALLERIES AND INTERNAL BUILDING WORK
The Library submitted a Development Application (DA D/2016/998) in July 2016 for the following works:
• a new set of circulation galleries connecting all levels, and other associated minor works within the Mitchell building
• provision of two lifts and an internal staircase across each floor
• internal reconfiguration works to accommodate the revised building circulation
• new gallery spaces, a cafe, bookshop and an immersive multimedia room on Level 1
• a new learning centre, toilets and a family room on the ground floor
• associated removal of non-heritage significant fabric and minor excavation works to the lift.
Due to the DA being classed as integrated development, it was assessed by both the City of Sydney and the Heritage Council of NSW. The City of Sydney approved the State Library's development application on the 3 January 2017 and the application for a Section 60 was approved on 1 September 2017.
The Library is continuing to work with expert heritage consultants and the Heritage Council of NSW to ensure that the heritage fabric of the building is respected.
STAGE 2: PLANNING PROPOSAL FOR ACCESSIBILITY UPGRADES AND ROOFTOP RESTAURANT/FUNCTION SPACE
The Library is currently preparing a Planning Proposal to amend the maximum height of building development standard that applies to the Library in the Sydney Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2012.
If approved, the proposed amendment to the Sydney LEP 2012 will help allow key aims of the master plan to progress. The amendment to the LEP will help to facilitate the following works:
• significant upgrades along Shakespeare Place to make the Library’s Mitchell building accessible for the first time through the introduction of new external lift and/or ramp facilities
• activation of the rooftop through a new restaurant/function space.