The Find Legal Answers and Drug Info advanced training equips staff with a knowledge of legal and drug and alcohol information resources
This training program focuses on the state-wide Find Legal Answers and Drug Info services available through public libraries across NSW and on the web.
The Find Legal Answers advanced training equips staff with the knowledge and skills to deliver the full range of legal information services provided by Find Legal Answers public libraries. The advanced program is made up of the Legislation and Case Law module.
The Drug Info advanced training concentrates on two ways of delivering drug and alcohol programs to local communities, focusing on key drug and alcohol resources available in public libraries or on the web.
Who is this course for?
This course is for staff working in NSW public libraries. Information about other courses available at the State Library of NSW can be accessed here.
The course will suit staff who deliver information services and/or public programs in public libraries and those seeking to refresh their knowledge.
Full day face-to-face workshop
Learning strategies involve a mix of lecture style, group work, guided opportunities for participants to explore the Drug Info, Find Legal Answers, Legislation NSW, Trove and AustLII websites and a hands-on standard drink pouring and beer goggle demonstration.
At the end of this workshop/course participants will be able to:
- use plain language, locally available resources to locate legal information
- use the Find Legal Answers website to locate legal information
- refer clients to agencies that offer legal advice and assistance
- use the NSW legislation website to locate NSW legislation
- use Trove and the NSW legislation website to locate NSW Government Gazettes
- use AustLII to locate legal cases and Commonwealth legislation.
They will also be:
- familiar with the scope of the Drug Info collections in central and branch libraries
- familiar with the Drug Info website and the range of information it contains
- able to assist students to find information about drugs and alcohol
- familiar with the aims of the Know Your Drug Facts and Know Your Standards program.
- morning tea and lunch
- computers or iPads
- standard drink demonstration and beer goggle demonstration
Please advise when booking if you have any dietary or accessibility requests.
The State Library provides the cost of first class return rail travel for participants travelling from libraries more than 100km away - more details can be found on the travel claim form.
This training course is held annually at the State Library.
Dates for 2018 to be confirmed.
Visit the events calendar to find details of upcoming events at the State Library as well as other events that may be of interest to NSW public library staff.