Under section 5 of the Library Act 1939 the Library Council of NSW makes careful inquiry into the administration and management of every local library in NSW. In support of this duty, the State Library collects comprehensive statistics from councils annually about their library services.
Key annual statistics are collected and used by public libraries for planning, developing and managing library services.
These statistics can be used by libraries, councils, the media and other interested stakeholders for reports and articles.
There are 375 public libraries in NSW, 139 in metropolitan NSW and 236 in country areas.
The key indicators of public library use show that the public are using libraries more than ever. 2011 figures show:
- almost 36 million visits to NSW public libraries (up 24% over the past 10 years)
- almost 49 million loans (up 12% over the past 10 years)
- over 2.7 million internet hours used by the public
- 3.3 million library members (46% of the NSW population)
- more than 48,000 public programs and events
Below is a selection of tools to assist New South Wales public libraries in collecting, submitting and analysing these statistics.
- Bibliostat Connect New South Wales Public Library Statistics
Note: This software is only available for New South Wales member public libraries.
We will notify New South Wales public libraries when this form is activated, so that you can collect your latest statistical data.