University, college and TAFE - students and academics
We offer a range of resources, facilities and programs for students and academics.
Research orientation program
This free program includes:
an orientation tour
introduction to our catalogues
introduction to our eresources
advice on research strategies to use.
We can tailor the program to cover a specific subject or topic. The program usually lasts around an hour.
We offer a free research consultation service. This will guide you to appropriate resources and provide advice on search strategies to use.
Complete the online form and ask for a research consultation.
Searching our collections
- Library Catalogue for books, journals and maps
- Manuscripts, oral history & pictures catalogue for original materials, such as photographs, paintings, diaries and unpublished material
- eresources for abstracts and full-text articles from a range of scholarly journals and newspapers
- Research guides for help with researching particular subjects
- Mitchell Library printed books card catalogue for items catalogued up to 1980
- Card indexes for references to NSW and Victorian subjects and people
- State Reference Library scanned card catalogue for items not in the Library Catalogue
Sign up for a Library card
To use all our collections and services you will need a Library card.
A Blue Library card lets you use our eresources and most of our collections.
You will need a Special Collections Library card to use items such as manuscripts, pictures and rare books. See our Special Collections guidelines [PDF 27.67KB] for details about how to request and use these items.
We offer a wide range of talks. The Out of the Vaults series showcases highlights from our collections while our Scholarly Musings talks reveal research undertaken at the Library. Check our Events page for upcoming talks.