The Library is closed onsite, open online. See updates here.
Sydney — Capital New South Wales was painted around 1800, most likely in England from drawings made in Sydne
This is one of the earliest oil paintings depicting the town of Sydney from what is now East Circular Quay.
Port Arthur was established as a British penal settlement, on the south-eastern coast of Van Diemen’s Land.
This view is of the forest at Brandy and Water Creek, with Mount Kembla in the left-hand corner.
Austrian-born artist Eugene von Guérard arrived in Australia in 1853 to seek his fortune on the Victorian goldfields.
The Sydney Harbour Bridge was just 20 years old when this work was painted by Roland Wakelin.
Joseph Backler arrived in Sydney as a convict in 1832, and within a year he was sent to Port Macquarie penal settleme
Joseph Backler was a convict portrait painter, who arrived in NSW in 1832 as a 19-year-old.
This is the first-known oil painting to depict a night corroboree. It features Awabakal men at Newcastle.
In 1843, Conrad Martens travelled through rough country south of Bathurst to paint the Abercrombie Caves.
Janssen, born in Prussia in 1779, travelled widely — in North and South America, India, Singapore and the Philippines
The children depicted in this painting are Thomas (b. 1816) dressed in black, William Sloper (b.
As one of the founders of the Heidelberg School and well known for his iconic Australian landscapes, Tom Roberts is o
Archivists from the historic Yulgilbar Castle in the Clarence Valley, northern NSW, have recently identified the woma
Ralph Bodkin Kelley, born in 1890, was educated in Victoria, qualifying as a veterinary scientist.
Marshall Claxton had enjoyed reasonable success as an artist in England before leaving for Australia in 1850.
In 1897, the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney commissioned Tom Roberts, one of Australia's leading artists, to pa
Although many will not have heard of this man, the city of Sydney is named after him.
Billy Blue was an enterprising former convict of African-American origin (possibly born in Jamaica), who arrived in S
Francis Wheatley painted this portrait of Arthur Phillip before his departure with the First Fleet in 1787.
Joseph Banks, a wealthy naturalist and botanist, accompanied Captain James Cook on his first voyage to the Pacific an
Official portraits were often commissioned when a person was leaving the country or had reached a milestone in their
Designed for portability or private display in the home, this smaller-sized portrait, contrasts markedly with the lar
Cityscapes, seascapes, studies of Sydney Harbour and interiors
In the early 19th century travelling menageries, along with the fairground and travelling theatres and circuses, were
The 1860–61 exploration led by Robert O’Hara Burke and William John Wills is one of the most famed events in Australi
This painting shows lower Pitt Street, Sydney, at the corner of Spring Street, looking towards Circular Quay.
George Peacock often sold sets of small paintings to clients — generally of harbour views.
Born in 1871, Sydney Long studied under Julian Ashton at the Art Society of NSW School and later became a teacher at
This painting provides a panoramic view of the harbour from above Lavender Bay on the North Shore, with Sydney Cove a
This unusual portrait shows an Australian bushman, probably a goldminer, wearing a highly-stylised version of goldfie
In this unusual and sparse view of Sydney Harbour, George Peacock depicts the buoy and manned light vessel, the Rose,
Alfred Tischbauer was a scene painter at the Paris Opera, but was displaced by the radical revolutionary government o
The Gap is a well-known sandstone cliff formation overlooking the ocean at South Head and a popular tourist destinati
This painting, of an unidentified United States brig entering Sydney Heads, could depict USS Brig Porpoise w
This view from Peacock Point, Balmain, shows a paddle steamer ferrying passengers between Balmain and the busy indust
This painting of the corner George and Wynyard streets (now a small lane leading to Wynyard Park) depicts a branch of
The Children’s Chapel, or Chapel of St Mary and the Angels, is located in the crypt of St James Church on King Street