The Library is open. See frequently asked questions.
Wednesday 26 May 2021
Australia’s funniest books from the last two years have been announced by the State Library of NSW TODAY [Wednesday 26 May].
Selected from 48 entries, the shortlisted books for the 2021 Russell Prize for Humour Writing are:
- The F Team by Rawah Arja (Giramondo Publishing)
- Mammoth by Chris Flynn (University of Queensland Press)
- Factory 19 by Dennis Glover (Black Inc.)
- It Sounded Better in My Head by Nina Kenwood (Text Publishing)
- Black is the New White by Nakkiah Lui (Allen & Unwin)
- Burger Force Vol. 4: Punishment by Jackie Ryan (Parentheses Press)
The inaugural $5,000 Humour Writing for Young People Award, offered for a published work intended for readers between the ages of 5 and 12 years, attracted 66 entries. The shortlisted books, selected by a judging panel of five primary school students, are:
- Action Tank – Book 2 by Mike Barry (Mike Barry Was Here)
- Wombat by Philip Bunting (Scholastic Australia)
- Your Birthday was the BEST! by Maggie Hutchings, illustrated by Felicita Sala (Affirm Press)
- Sneaky Shadows by SC Manchild, illustrated by Sam Caldwell (Berbay Books)
- The Stolen Prince of Cloudburst by Jaclyn Moriarty (Allen & Unwin)
- The Underhills: A Tooth Fairy Story by Bob Graham (Walker Books Australia)
The winners will be announced on 17 June 2021.