Our opening hours are reduced on the Australia Day public holiday, Monday 27 January. More information ›
The Indigenous Services team at the Library work to share and celebrate stories of Indigenous Australia and work closely with Indigenous communities.
What we do:
- We promote services and programs on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture
- We provide advice on Indigenous matters
- We expose our rich Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander collections to the wider community
Indigenous Advisory Board
The Library established an Indigenous Advisory Board in 2014, with its inaugural meeting held in June 2015.
The Indigenous Advisory Board assists the Library Council and the State Library to respond to the needs of the Indigenous population of New South Wales and to build relationships with communities.
Some frequently answered questions that may help:
1. Can you assist with my research?
Yes, we provide assistance for clients researching material related to Indigenous Australia history and culture from the Library’s collections. If we don't have material relating to your enquiry available in our collection, we may be able to advise you on which institution outside NSW you can contact to obtain more information. For more information on the support we can provide, please view the Ask a Librarian policy.
2. Do you do Family History research?
No, we don't provide personalised Family History research. We can help with:
- Up to 1 hour of research on each enquiry. We may spend more time on enquiries which require researching materials unique to our Library.
- A maximum of 6 enquiries per client per calendar year.
3. Are there any resources to start my family history?
4. Do you issue ‘Confirmation/Proof of Aboriginality’ documentation?
We do not issue ‘Confirmation/Proof of Aboriginality’. However, you can find more some helpful advice and information on how to obtain the documentation on the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies website.
5. How can I be updated on your events and activities?
The events organised by the Indigenous Services team can be booked online.
6. How can I be involved in the Rediscovering Indigenous Languages project?
7. How can I become a volunteer?
If you wish to become a volunteer please refer to our Volunteers page.
8. How can I contact you/book an appointment?