The Australian Library Design Awards were presented at State Library of Queensland on Thursday 14 March 2019. There are three categories school libraries, public libraries and academic libraries as well as an ALIA Members’ Choice award. The entries, shortlisted and winning designs are case studies in excellent library design for the 21st Century. All the entries were new buildings, refurbishments or major renovations.
Congratulations to Kathryn Baget-Juleff, Margie Kirkness and the whole Shellharbour Libraries team on their win in the public libraries category. If you haven’t visited their library yet you might like to take a quick look.
- Anglican Church Grammar School (Churchie), Centenary Library (WINNER)
- St Andrew’s Cathedral School, St Andrew’s Cathedral School Library
- Casey Cardinia Libraries, Bunjil Place Library (ALIA MEMBER CHOICE AWARD)
- Goulburn Valley Regional Library Corporation, Cobram Library & Learning Centre
- Lockyer Valley Libraries, Laidley Library
- Shellharbour City Libraries, City Library (WINNER)
- Monash University, Caulfield Library (WINNER)
- Monash University, Sir Louis Matheson Library
- University of Queensland, Gatton (J.K. Murray) Library
Dr Libby Sander gave a fascinating presentation about the way our workspaces influence our behaviour, engagement, wellbeing and enjoyment at work. She also pointed out that libraries have been coworking spaces since the Renaissance!
You can explore some of her ideas via:
- How spaces can make us better versions of ourselves, a TEDx talk that she presented