Due to essential network maintenance, access to some online services including the viewing of digital images will be temporarily unavailable between 5 pm and 8 pm AEST on Sunday, 22 September 2019. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The County of Cumberland was the first of the 141 counties that divide New South Wales. It was named by Governor Phillip in 1788. It is made up of 57 ‘parishes’ - areas of land, maps of which form the basis of land administration in New South Wales. Cumberland stretches from Wollongong in the South to Broken Bay in the North and the Nepean River in the West.
We hold hundreds of County maps for all of New South Wales. These are a useful source for research into land holdings and administration in New South Wales that supplement our parish map collections. County maps are especially useful for researching large holdings such as pastoral stations in the Western Districts of New South Wales.