Service interruption: There is a currently a delay in emails being sent in response to enquiries.
On this day, the road to Mrs Macquarie’s Chair in Sydney, was completed. The traditional foundation date of the Sydney Botanic Gardens is taken as the date of completion of Mrs Macquaries Road, on 13 June 1816.
Mrs Macquaries Chair was carved out of stone for the Governor’s wife, Elizabeth Macquarie, who loved to come by carriage to Yurong or Anson’s Point, to sit and look at the harbour.
The State Library of New South Wales holds many pictorial works depicting Mrs Macquarie’s Chair and the Botanic Gardens.