Vocational training is an important partner with public libraries, the library courses offered at TAFE frequently have public library industry representatives on their course advisory committees and there are different pathways to library skills and qualifications that may suit council / library trainees, people interested in working in libraries, library employees who have experience but no qualifications, those seeking to achieve accredited library technician qualifications and people who wish to upgrade their skills in key areas (eg. cataloguing, RDA and metadata, digitisation, etc). Public libraries also frequently host library studies students on their industry placements and students in library studies courses may be potential employees in public libraries.
We asked the Head Teachers of Library and Information Studies at Sydney TAFE for some information about their institution and what's available for library studies training.
Where is Sydney TAFE?
Sydney TAFE is centrally located in Ultimo, near the Sydney CBD, and is close to Central Station.
Do you offer on campus or online courses?
Courses are available:
• At Sydney TAFE, Ultimo where we have a large teaching space, with six computer classrooms, providing computer access for all students. We also have a fully operational simulated library that uses the Liberty 5 library management system.
• Blended delivery: a combination of classroom and online training.
• Fully online.
All courses available for full time or part-time study. Courses are currently listed as Smart and Skilled.
What courses and pathways are available for library studies?
There are a range of different pathways to achieve library qualifications at Sydney TAFE including:
* the Statement of Attainment in Library Job Readiness is a short course for those interested in working in a library
* recognition of prior learning is available for library employees who have experience but no qualifications
* BSB31215 Certificate III in Library and Information Services
* BSB42115 Certificate IV in Library and Information Services
* BSB52115 Diploma of Library and Information Services (ALIA accredited - Online and on Campus, Full-time or Part-time)
Please note, Council traineeships in the Certificate III, Certificate IV and Diploma of Library and Information Services courses can be undertaken.
What topics does the Diploma of Library and Information Services include?
Completing the Diploma of Library and Information Services you will obtain skills in organising, maintaining and marketing library collections, assisting clients with their information needs through research and analysis. Up-to-date training in the use of integrated library management systems, social media, digital collections and webpage maintenance is included. The Diploma also includes a work placement which Sydney TAFE organise for their students.
Students at Library and Information Studies on campus at Sydney TAFE practice their skills in a fully operational simulated library with the Liberty 5 library management system.
Can I advertise a shelving or casual role at my library that might be of interest to Sydney TAFE students?
Yes, just email any relevant job advertisements through to Julie Barkman firstname.lastname@example.org and we can put them on the student notice board.
Who can I contact for more information about Library and Information Studies at Sydney TAFE?
For further information contact the Head Teachers of Library and Information Studies:
Jo-Ann Bathurst Phone: (02) 9217 3384 or Email: email@example.com
Julie Barkman Phone: (02) 9217 4612 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Library Services will be providing information about other library skills and training opportunities in future posts.