Public holiday: the Library will be open on 3 October. View opening hours
This delicate pen, black ink and grey wash drawing has been recently purchased for the Library's collection. It depicts Macquarie Place in Sydney around the 1850s. The view is westward of Macquarie Place with the Obelisk in front of a row of buildings. The Obelisk was designed by convict architect Francis Greenway and was constructed in 1818. It was located in the centre of the park and was used as the originating standard from which roads in the colony were measured.
With the completion of Circular Quay in the 1850s, Macquarie Place became a bustling area with many hotels, boarding houses and businesses.
There is key to the drawing at lower centre which identifies the businesses left to right in the foreground of the picture. These include the Prussian & Hanseatic Consulates; Marine Assurance Office; Smith, Campbell & Co.; Broussouze & Co. Wine Merchants; Custom House Hotel.
View of Macquarie Place, Sydney has been catalogued and digitised and is accessible on the Library's catalogue.
Acting Head of Pictures Section