State Library of NSW
Circular to the Members of the Faith of Israel.1839
TO THE MEMBERS OF THE FAITH OF ISRAEL.
"How goodly it is for Brethren to dwell together in unity." PSALMS.
"He shall build an house for my for my name, and he shall be my son, and I will be his father, and I will establish the throne of his Kingdom over Israel for ever."
"Now my Son, the Eternal be with thee and prosper thee, and build the House of the Eternal thy God, as he hath said of thee." CHRON. II., Chap. xxii, and 10 and 11.
"I have surely built thee an house to dwell in, a settled place for thee to abide in for ever." KINGS I., Chap. xiii.
WITH sincere and heartfelt gratification, we have to announce to the Members of the Faith of Israel, that we, the united few, now residing in the Colony of New South Wales, have, in love to the Eternal God, the GOD OF ABRAHAM, ISAAC, and JACOB, resolved to raise up a Sacred Edifice for the worship of his holy name; and it is with the like heartfelt gratification that we have to announce, that towards the commencing and completion of this goodly work, the resident Members in New South Wales of our community have come forward and given, (as their free will offerings) an amount of money already approaching nearly to Three Thousand Pounds, and they confidently anticipate, from the devoted veneration which every Israelite has for his Ancient Faith, that those who reside, whether far or near, will on hearing of this, our work, gladly and promptly respond to the sacred call, and give their utmost aid, and join heart and hand, so as to enable the increasing congregation of this newly inhabited portion of the world, to raise an edifice that shall render honor to Him, as enjoined from the beginning, to our ancestors.
But before we conclude this, our brief to our Brethren in Faith, we will direct their attention to the objects which we have in contemplation, and which we are desirous to carry forward and into effect, with as little delay as possible:-
1. – The Building of a Synagogue, which shall (in after, and we pray at no distant time,) accommodate, with comfort and with ease, a Congregation, at the least, of Five Hundred Persons at their daily service.
2. – That the Edifice shall be an elegant and stately one, with Offices and School House attached, and a suitable Dwelling for a Minister of the Mosaic Religion.
3. – The Internal Fittings to correspond with the Building.
4. – That at least three (Sepher Toras) “Scrolls of the Law,” to be deposited in the Ark, be obtained with their necessary appendages.
5. – That provision be made, for the maintaining with right dignity and independence, the Minister.
6. – That for the purpose of furthering to the ends of, and the advancement of our Holy Religion, amongst our Youthful Members, that a competent Master be engaged to instruct them in the Mosaic Religion, and in the ordinary and most approved courses of English Education.
And lastly. – That this contemplated work of our hands, should neither be slack or stop. We, in conclusion, appeal to, and earnestly entreat, that our Brethren will, with the utmost speed, forward to us their contributions, through the medium of our Treasurer, for the time being, or to any other individual Member of our congregation, they residing in the town of Sydney. The names may be selected for that purpose, from the enclosed list of Contributors.
We remain with prayers for your welfare and happiness,
THE MEMBERS OF THE FAITH OF ISRAEL
(IN THE COLONY OF NEW SOUTH WALES.)