State Library of NSW
Construction of Sydney City Railway, 1922-1923 / photographed by J. Bradfield1922-1923Hyde Park was excavated to construct Museum and St James stations for the city underground railway. The Central - Museum - St James line was opened on 20th December 1926, about nine months after the first electric train service was introduces in Sydney. The western section Central - Town Hall - Wynyard opened on 28th February 1932. It was another twenty four years before the city underground loop was created with the opening of Circular Quay between Wynyard and St James on 22 January 1956.