State Library of NSW
Customs House and Circular Quay, Sydney NSW1845
To accommodate the growing demands on the Customs Office due to the expansion of maritime trade to the colony, Government Architect Mortimer Lewis designed this Greek-revival style building, completed in 1845. The building, although completely altered through renovation and additions, still sits at the head of Circular Quay.
George Peacock surprisingly depicts the rear of the building, and brings the scene to life with the detail of townsfolk going about their daily business. Aboriginal people are seen in the foreground — a frequent detail in images of Sydney from this time.