State Library of NSW
Customs House and part of Circular Wharf, Sydney NSW1845
In this view, George Peacock has chosen to depict Customs House from the east side of Sydney Cove, looking back into The Rocks across the Quay. It shows the recently reclaimed ‘Semi-Circular Quay’, one of the biggest public work projects of the day, which took seven years to construct, between 1837 and 1844.
The newly completed St Patricks, on Grosvenor Street, is shown in the background. Many of Peacock’s paintings depicted prominent public buildings — their popularity suggests the pride locals felt in their rapidly developing town.