The foundation stone of the first Catholic Cathedral in Hyde Park was laid by Governor Macquarie in 1821. The building was located on the first land granted to the Catholic Church in Australia. The Cathedral became the headquarters of the Catholic church when Sydney's first bishop, John Bede Polding, arrived in 1835. This church was destroyed by fire in 1865. Work began on the new St Mary's Cathedral in 1865 and the first northern section was completed in 1882. The building was finally completed in 2000 with the addition of the two spires.