State Library of NSW
The Gold Commissioner’s station at Timbarra, New South Walesc 1870
Louisa Green arrived in Australia from England with her husband and seven children in 1850. In 1851 the family added Emmott to their surname, from their former Lancashire residence, Emmott Hall.
In 1859 George Green-Emmott was appointed magistrate and Sub-Gold Commissioner of the Timbarra goldfields. Louisa’s only recorded painting depicts the rudimentary official compound and settlement at the goldfield. The building in the centre foreground, surrounded by gardens is probably the Commissioner’s house.
The troopers with packhorse are likely to be the gold escort who travelled with the diggers to protect the gold leaving the settlement.