King Street towards St James’ Church, Sydneyc 1842

by George Roberts

The intersection of King and George streets, in the centre of Sydney, has been a bustling retail centre for more than two centuries. In the early 1840s, artist George Roberts documented the area, showing Sydneysiders shopping, socialising and travelling through the town. The streets are filled with pedestrians, horses and carriages, shopkeepers and children. On the left, a shopkeeper is driving a young man out of his premises with a whip. On the right are the ironmongery stores and showrooms of Mr T Woolley, on the corner of George and King streets. The view looks towards the eastern end of King Street, which terminates at Macquarie Street. At the top of the street, right of centre, are St James’ Church and the Supreme Court building.