State Library of NSW
[Mrs Macquarie's Chair, Sydney] / Wilson Mew photo.When Governor Lachlan Macquarie arrived in 1810 he developed an extensive network of roads. He also reclaimed Farm Cove from private farmers by enclosing the Domain with walls and paling fences, and in 1813 constructed a 5km road through the Domain for his wife Elizabeth's recreation. It was completed in June 1816. The historic rock chair at the end of the promontory was made for her to enjoy the panoramic view of the harbour and the path to it soon became 'the principal promenade of the Sydney beaux and bells'