Opening of Anzac War Memorial, Sydney, by Duke of Gloucester24 Nov 1934
by Sam Hood
Situated towards the southern end of Hyde Park on the main avenue, the ANZAC Memorial stands 30 metres high. On its northern approach is the 'Lake of Reflections', bordered by poplar trees in memory of the battle areas of France. Built as a tribute to the Australian Imperial Force, it was officially opened by His Royal Highness, the Duke of Gloucester on 24 November 1934.