Photographs - New South Wales, 1879 - ca. 1892 / N.S.W. Government Printer1879 - ca.1892
by New South Wales. Government Printing Office
The Royal Arcade ran from George Street near the markets, through to Pitt Street, near the School of Arts. Over 90 metres long, it was well lit, with a lofty clerestory and gas lamps. There were 31 shops on the ground floor, 36 officer on the first floor and a photographic studio above them at the George Street end. Of Sydney's five Victorian arcades, only the Strand survived twentieth century development, the Royal disappearing beneath the Hilton Hotel in the mid 1970s.