State Library of NSW
Plan of the Village of Bowenfels at Bowens Hollow, 1842, T.L.Mitchell ; drawn by J. Bailey, manuscript map, 1842.1842
In 1836, some 40 convicts were transferred from a depot west of Old Bowenfels to a new stockade at Bowens Hollow, on the east side of Mitchell's new line of road. At this encampment, up to eighty men worked on the road and quarried stone for the abutments of a new bridge over Bowens Creek. Today, a sub-division of Old Bowenfels called Quarry Place contains remains of the convict quarry.