State Library of NSW
Supreme Court House, Sydney, 1845, by George Peacock1845
In the late 1830s the Government Architect, Mortimer Lewis, designed the Supreme Court House (still standing on Oxford Street in Darlinghurst). Its severely classical form was much admired: Louisa Anne Meridith thought it the only `architectural' building in Sydney, while James Maclehose considered it representative of the `cottages, villas, and even mansions, partaking of a grandeur of character which could not have been contemplated in the early history of the colony [but which] are now to be seen in almost every direction...'
Reference: George Edwards Peacock exhibition catalogue. State Library of New South Wales, 2002