State Library of NSW
View of Arthursleigh1839
Conrad Martens travelled to southern New South Wales, as far as Goulburn, in 1836 and visited Arthursleigh Station.
Once owned by Hannibal Hawkins Macarthur, Arthursleigh is on the Wollondilly River at Eden Forest, north of Marulan. Macarthur amassed 15,000 acres in the area before 1840. Between 1837 and 1839 Macarthur purchased five views of the Arthursleigh area from Martens.
It is likely that frames for this work and another by Martens, Gibraltar Rocks, were both made by a leading frame maker of the day.