State Library of NSW
View from Craigend looking over Government House and Domain1845
Craigend, one of the earliest and grandest villas on the Darlinghurst ridge, was designed by the talented Surveyor General Sir Thomas Mitchell in 1829, although he only lived on the property for 10 years. When this painting was made, the property was owned by solicitor George John Rogers. The painting surveys Craigend’s garden, with its many introduced plants, and looks across to the new Government House and Macquarie Street. Craigend was demolished in 1921 to make room for a new subdivision.